The Board of Directors is responsible for the strategic management of FINCIS and the implementation of the decisions of the Annual Meetings. The Board of Directors makes proposals to the Annual Meeting on the operational and financial plans and monitors their implementation during the year. 8
In particular, it is the duty of the Board to:
- prepare matters to be reviewed by meetings of the association
- execute the decisions of the meetings of the association
- see to the governance and finances of the association and the management of its assets
- establish permanent or temporary working groups as necessary
- ratify Finland’s Anti-Doping Code after consulting with sports organisations
- elect the vice chair of the Board and the chairs and members of the other organs
- appoint and dismiss the association’s Secretary General
The Board of Directors consists of the Chair, who is elected by the autumn meeting, and six or seven other ordinary members and two deputy members, who always have the right to speak and be present at Board meetings.
The Ministry of Education and Culture can propose two or three ordinary members to the Board of Directors. The Finnish Olympic Committee, the Finnish Paralympic Committee and the Finnish Society of Sports Medicine can propose one ordinary member each. The Athletes’ Commissions of the Finnish Olympic Committee and the Finnish Paralympic Committee together can propose one ordinary member. The Ministry of Education and Culture can propose one deputy member while the Finnish Olympic Committee and the Finnish Paralympic Committee together can propose another deputy member.
The term of office of the Board is two calendar years. A member of the Board may not serve on the Board for more than four consecutive terms. Both men and women must constitute at least 40% of the members of the Board.
The composition of the FINCIS Board of Directors for 2022–2023
Chair: Pia Ek
Vice-Chair: Hanna-Mari Manninen
Members: Merja Salmi, Petri Pohjonen, Samuli Salanterä, Niko Jakobsson, Jere Forsberg (athlete member) and Olavi Airaksinen.
Deputy members: Juha Post and Lotta Henttinen.
The deputy members always have the right to speak and be present at Board meetings